Find a mortgage to suit you
If you're a Gibraltar resident, Barclays offers a complete range of mortgages that can help you buy a property on the Rock - or in the UK.
Whether you're a first-time buyer, are looking to switch from your current lender, want to remortgage or are looking for an investment opportunity, you’ll find attractive mortgage rates and a choice of repayment options.
You may even be able to borrow up to 85% of the property's value or purchase price. In this case you would need to have a deposit to cover the remaining 15%.
What kind of customer are you?
Buying your first home is probably one of the most exciting experiences you'll ever have, but it's a big step for anyone. We're here to help you handle the challenges and enjoy the change. We believe first-time buyers should have the same choice as any other customer, so you can apply for any of the mortgages we offer in Gibraltar. We also have a range of benefits to help make budgeting easier as you start life in your new home.
- No higher lending charge. Unlike some other lenders, we do not charge a higher lending fee if you borrow more than a given percentage of the value of the property
- The comfort of knowing how much you´re paying each month for the fixed rate period
- The chance to buy with another person so you can increase the amount you borrow
- An early repayment charge may apply for the fixed period.
Looking to switch or remortgage
Getting a new mortgage could save you money and it may be easier than you think. So if the fixed or discounted period of your current mortgage is coming to an end, you may want to consider switching to us. Or maybe your home has risen in value and you are looking to release some equity. Switching your mortgage can also be a cost-effective way of borrowing larger sums of money at lower interest rates.
If you want to balance your investments, it's worth considering property. With our investment mortgages you'll only need to put down a relatively modest deposit. So whether you're thinking about investing for the first time or are already renting out a property or properties as part of a balanced portfolio, it could help you achieve the return you are looking for.
Types of mortgage
Whatever position you're in, we offer the following types of mortgage for Gibraltar residents:
Whichever option you choose, you'll always get:
- Competitive mortgage rates that are among the lowest available in Gibraltar
- A choice of capital repayment or interest-only mortgages
- Expert advice from experienced advisers with a detailed understanding of the local property market
- A simple, straightforward application process
- The help and support you need - start with our step-by-step guide to buying a property
- The peace of mind that comes with the pedigree and resources of the Barclays group.
Fixed rate mortgages
No matter what happens to interest rates, you can get the security of a set monthly repayment for a specific period. After the fixed rate mortgage period ends you revert to a variable interest rate that tracks the Barclays Bank Base Rate (BBBR) and may be higher or lower than the fixed rate.
- This is a great option if you're planning ahead or working to a budget
- A range of fixed rate periods, from two to ten years
- Know in advance how much you'll pay each month during the fixed-rate period
- Application fees may apply
- The convenience of a portable mortgage, allowing you to take your mortgage deal with you when you move.
Tracker rate mortgages
This flexible option gives you a rate that moves in line with the Barclays Bank Base Rate (BBBR), so you benefit from general interest rate cuts, irrespective of what happens to specific mortgage rates. Of course, if interest rates rise, your rate and monthly payment will increase too.
- A variable rate that rises and falls with changes to the Barclays Bank Base Rate (BBBR).
- The flexibility of no early repayment charges on selected tracker rate mortgages.
- The convenience of a portable mortgage, so you can take your mortgage deal to a new home if you move.
How to apply
If you want to apply for our products and services please select one of the options below:
Call us on +44 (0)1624 684305†.
Or visit Barclays Gibraltar branch
YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE.
Remember that where the mortgage is denominated in a currency other than sterling, CHANGES IN THE EXCHANGE RATE MAY INCREASE THE STERLING EQUIVALENT OF THE DEBT.
Terms and conditions apply to all mortgage products. We strongly recommend that you obtain your own independent tax advice before proceeding with an offshore mortgage.
Barclays will require a first charge over the property.
As a responsible lender, we only want you to borrow what you can afford, and in a way that is best for you. When considering your application, your financial circumstances will be assessed before we make a decision to lend money. And remember, if you should run into any financial difficulties, please contact us as soon as you become aware of them.
In all forms of advertising and marketing material where repayments are quoted, we will show clearly a typical Annual Percentage Rate (APR).
The products and services described on this page are provided by the following companies, which are part of Barclays: Barclays Bank PLC in London and Barclays Private Clients International Limited in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. For further information on these companies and Barclays please read the Important Information.