Investments and financial planning for an international lifestyle
If you are living or working outside your home country, or if you travel frequently, then Barclays iInvest, our international investment, wealth management and financial planning service, could be ideal.
International investing and banking services
With our international investing service you can gain access to the following:
- All investments in one account. You can monitor and manage all your investments in one account.
- Convenience. As well as receiving your statement every six months you can check your investments by telephone, meet our International Investment Advisers in your nearest Barclays branch or, in most cases, they can visit you in your country of residence.
- Access to International Investment Advisers. Our International Investment Advisers work with clients in almost 200 countries across the world to help manage and update their investment portfolios.
- A choice of currencies. Your investments can be selected from a range of currencies.
- Foreign exchange facilities. Barclays iInvest clients can get preferential rates on a variety of currency exchange facilities.
- Offshore facilities. Our clients have access to offshore mortgages, investments, trusts and other banking services.
- Tax and financial planning2. We can help you set up tax efficient capital, income and wealth protection structures.
- Cash management products. Designed with particularly active investors in mind, these products will help to ensure that your cash is working as hard as possible for you while also being readily available for new investment opportunities.
- An honest view. Investment funds should be viewed as a medium- to long-term commitment, that is five years or more, and our structured products range between three and six years. The value and any income from them can go down as well as up. You might get back less than you originally invested.
Click on the following links to see some case studies of international investment clients:
You have sole responsibility for the management of your tax and legal affairs, including making any applicable filings and payments and complying with any applicable laws and regulations. We have not provided and will not provide you with tax or legal advice and recommend that you obtain your own independent tax and legal advice tailored to your individual circumstances.
How to apply
Barclays iInvest is available to investors with £50,000 (or currency equivalent) to invest. To find out more choose one of the following options:
Speak to your Relationship Manager
Telephone us on +44 (0)1624 684496†
Download the Barclays iInvest brochure.
Occupation: Finance Director
Situation: Moved from Zurich to London for work.
Frederich is dynamic, driven and financially sophisticated. He is extremely knowledgeable about investments and international markets, and enjoys trading in currencies and shares. He knows exactly which investment products he wants, but needs help accessing them. He has investment preferences but is looking for sound investment advice across a wide range of asset classes so that he can diversify his portfolio. He is receptive to innovative financial products, correctly structured to reflect his tax status.
- We set up Frederich's banking facilities for him in Zurich, and his debit and credit cards were available on arrival in the UK. Frederich is paid in euros but needs access to a range of currencies including US dollars and sterling. So we arranged multi-currency cash and card facilities.
- Frederich also takes advantage of our preferential rates when using our foreign exchange facilities for clients using the Relationship Manager Service.
- We put Frederich in touch with our preferred tax advisers to help make sure his tax position is managed appropriately. As part of this, we set up a tax-efficient capital and income structure that enables him to capitalise on his tax status and helps protect his wealth2.
- Frederich's dedicated Relationship Manager has helped Frederich get access to products and services in the rest of the Barclays Group. This includes providing Frederich with a mortgage to buy his apartment in Chelsea.
- Frederich makes good use of our cash management and lending products. For example, he uses our fiduciary deposit as a yield-bearing cash repository between investments.
Name: John and Valerie
Occupation: Construction Project Manager and Nurse, respectively
Age: 48 and 46
Situation: Moved to Dubai to build a hotel and work in a hospital. They are due to retire in seven years.
John and Valerie have lived and worked across the world for most of their adult lives. They are financially astute but not experts. They have a son in Australia with a family of his own, and a daughter at university in Paris.
- John and Valerie bank offshore. This affords them easy access to their cash and other financial holdings as they move around the world. They have kept their sterling accounts and they also have accounts denominated in UAE dirhams, Australian dollars and euros for ease of use when they travel to see family, or for investment purposes.
- John and Valerie have often been able to access Investment Advisers in the countries in which they are working, such as Dubai. The three points of contact they have with their Relationship Manager, Relationship Executive and Service Executive team, have helped them settle into their new locations.
- The entire family has access to the same Relationship Manager and dedicated service team, and can access their accounts by phone or online1.
- We helped John and Valerie set up their assets with Barclays to deliver a good income when they retire. They used our cash fund and investment fund to help them build their assets without risking their capital, and in order to generate potential returns to beat inflation.
- Through ABSA Bank, our affiliated South African service, we were able to provide them with an offshore mortgage to help them buy their retirement house in South Africa. They were able to take advantage of their international tax status and complete the mortgage repayment more quickly. We also helped John buy his dream fishing boat using our marine finance product.
- Although we do not give tax advice, we were able to work with John and Valerie’s own tax adviser. They used our financial planning services to manage their inheritance tax and set up trusts for their grandchildren.
Occupation: IT consultant
Situation: Moved back to Spain to work for a multinational company.
José is an adventurous person. He is currently in Spain but wants to keep his options open as far as travel and living overseas are concerned.
- José set up an offshore account in euros before he left the UK, so he didn't have to worry about his finances when moving home. When he got to Spain we set up an onshore account through our European branch network.
- As José travels frequently, he makes good use of multi-currency accounts and cards. With international phone and online banking, he can manage his accounts whenever and wherever he likes.
- His Barclaycard sterling credit card also provides extra facilities including an international concierge service, travel insurance and access to airport lounges.
- We also negotiate preferential foreign exchange rates. For example we converted some sterling to euros when José moved back home.
- José's Relationship Manager worked with Barclays Bank staff in Spain to help arrange an overseas mortgage for his house in Madrid. The Relationship Manager also helped José change the mortgage on his London apartment from primary residence to buy-to-let.
- Whenever José wants to reconsider his investment portfolio, he can meet with one of our International Investment Advisers in London or Madrid.
1 Access may be limited in some countries due to the prohibited transmission of encrypted data over telephone lines. Please contact your local embassy to check your country's legal position. For a short period of time every night (UK time), the site may be unavailable whilst we refresh data.
2 In association with your tax advisers.
The products and services described on this page are provided by the following companies, which are part of Barclays: Barclays Bank PLC in London and Barclays Private Clients International Limited in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. For further information on these companies and Barclays please read the Important Information.