Non UK citizens living and working in the UK
Is this information for you?
This information applies to non-UK citizens who:
- Are living or working in the UK but intend to return to their home country at some point
- Would like to live or work in the UK for a set period
People in these circumstances are often referred to as non-domicile UK residents.
UK banking and financial services
Barclays International can help provide the banking and financial services that you need.
Advantages of international banking
A Barclays International bank account can be set up before you leave your home country. This can make it much simpler and quicker to set up the banking services that you require.
What's more you can manage your international bank account from almost anywhere in the world through telephone† and online1 banking. So one account should be all you need.
Resident non-domicile tax status
You will need to determine your tax status in order to know which Barclays International bank account is best for you.
What is your UK tax status?
As a general guide, in order to successfully claim non-domicile tax status you will need to show that you:
- Have strong ties with another country: e.g. one in which you or your parents were born
- Intend to leave the UK and return to that country at some time in the future
The UK tax authorities judge each application on a case-by-case basis. So you will need professional tax advice to help you determine your own status.
Barclays International does not offer tax advice, but we are happy to introduce clients to our preferred tax advisers, Ernst and Young.
If you can demonstrate to the UK tax authorities that you are a non-domicile resident then there might be opportunities that you could incorporate into your tax planning strategy.
However, the situation can be complicated and will depend on factors such as:
- How long you have lived in the UK - this is particularly relevant if you have spent seven out of the last 10 years in the UK
- The total income amount you receive each year
- What capital and assets you bring into the UK
Combined with independent professional tax advice we can help provide the right banking and financial services solution for you.
Call us on +44 (0)1624 684 316†.
The choice of international bank accounts
Our aim is to provide the right level of service to match your banking and finance requirements. This is why we offer a range of different international bank accounts from which to choose.
Relationship Manager Service
This is our most prestigious international bank account and can be tailored to your needs. As well as all the benefits of telephone and online international banking services and savings in international currencies, it also offers:
- A dedicated Relationship Manager who works on your behalf to help maximise your wealth
- A Relationship Executive to look after your day-to-day banking needs
- Help with asset management, financial planning, investments, mortgages, asset finance and wealth structuring*
To qualify you must deposit and maintain a balance of £50,000 or more (or currency equivalent) in cash or investments with us; or, if you have come to live in or are moving to the UK, deposit an annual individual gross income of £150,000 or more (or currency equivalent) into Barclays international bank accounts.
iBank Saver account
This account is designed to for people who don't need day-to-day banking services but do want to protect their wealth. The benefits include:
- Savings and deposit accounts in a range of currencies
- A range of investment solutions offered through the Barclays Group but remember, when investing, your capital is at risk and you might get back less than you invested
- Quick and secure international payments from some savings accounts
To qualify you must deposit and maintain a balance of £10,000 or more (or currency equivalent) in cash or investments across your Barclays international banking accounts.
The iBank account is our international banking service with flexibility that allows you to manage and control your finances from almost anywhere in the world. The benefits include:
- The choice of sterling currency account, euro currency account and US dollar account
- Credit2 and debit cards
- Savings and borrowing in a range of currencies
This account is available for a £10 (US$16.50 or €14.50) monthly fee to clients who can deposit and maintain a balance of £5,000 or more (or currency equivalent) in cash or investments across their Barclays international banking accounts. See our tariff for details of the iBank fee other currencies.
You have sole responsibility for the management of your tax and legal affairs, including making any applicable filings and payments and complying with any applicable laws and regulations. We have not provided and will not provide you with tax or legal advice and recommend that you obtain your own independent tax and legal advice tailored to your individual circumstances.
1 Access may be limited in some countries due to the prohibited transmission of encrypted data over telephone lines. Please contact your local embassy to check your country‘s legal position. For a short period of time every night (UK time), the site may be unavailable whilst we refresh data. Access may also be limited in some countries due to the prohibited transmission of encrypted data over telephone lines. Please contact your local embassy to check your country's legal position.
* YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE. Remember that where the mortgage is denominated in a currency other than sterling, CHANGES IN THE EXCHANGE RATE MAY INCREASE THE STERLING EQUIVALENT OF THE DEBT. The value of investments may fall as well as rise and your capital is at risk.
2Subject to status and application.
The products and services described on this page are provided by the following companies, which are part of Barclays: Barclays Bank PLC in England and Wales and Barclays Private Clients International Limited in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. For further information on these companies and Barclays please read the e Important Information.